Many of us overlook the humble bath salt as something that Granny used to use, or something that you put on the shelf (you know … those colourful jars of salt we all used to make way back when). Bath salts are one of the most natural, soothing and inexpensive ways to pamper and heal the human body and we just love them.
For over 2000 years people have been saying that certain salts, when used as a soak or treatment, deliver health benefits. These range from the slightly crazy claims (they help your libido) to scientific studies that show certain bath salts can be used to alleviate symptoms of inflamed skin, eczema, psoriasis and arthritis. There is even evidence out there to say that bath salts can assist with autism.
This is not to say that jumping in any old salty bath is going to cure all your ailments and create a new you (sorry). But we do believe that regular salty bathing (20 mins, up to 3x per week) in either Dead Sea Salt, Epsom Salts or Himalayan salts can deliver benefits, enhance your skin and give you a healthy glow. More specific benefits include helping:
- Reduce stress
- Inflamed skin
So what is it about bath salts that is so good that even the Bible consistently refers to them as a healing source? (It’s true – it’s in both the New and Old Testaments.) Dead Sea, Himalayan and Epsom salts contain loads of minerals that are critical nutrients for our bodies, which are often not absorbed, or poorly absorbed, from our food. Some of these are detailed below:
- Magnesium: aids sleep and relaxation, promotes quick healing of skin tissue and provides the skin’s surface with anti-allergic elements, essential for cell metabolism.
- Bromide: soothes skin, relaxes body muscles and calms nerves.
- Chloride: combines with hydrogen in the stomach to make hydrochloric acid a powerful digestive enzyme.
- Sodium: relieves stiffness and muscle cramps. Also a detoxifying agent, helping cells retain nourishment and expel waste.
- Calcium: an essential mineral known to strengthen bones and teeth and cell membranes. Also cleanses pores.
- Potassium: helps balance moisture in the skin and body, aiding in the reduction of water retention and in the nourishment of cells. Also regulates the nervous system.
- Iodine: important for the correct function of the thyroid gland and aids metabolic exchanges
- Sulfur: a natural disinfectant and detoxifying agent as it works with the liver to rid the body of toxins.
- Zinc: when applied topically zinc is known to boost the immune system.
Starting to see why we love them so much? Bathing in salty water is not only nice, but it is nourishing and effective. When used properly they are 100% safe and produce no nasty side effects*. So go ahead … try them. We think you will become converts.
*Please note: Our only caveats are that people with sensitivities to Sulfur should not bath in Epsom salts and safety precautions should always be followed when soaking in baths – use caution getting in and out of any body of water, including the tub and avoid water that is too hot.
If you’re interested in the benefits of Bath Salts – Shop our Range Here
(Sourced from https://www.thesaltbox.com.au/about-bath-salt/)